What is Arlington Garden?
Arlington Garden is a three acre garden on Caltrans-owned land. It is leased to the City of Pasadena and entrusted by the city to Arlington Garden in Pasadena, a non-profit 501(c)3 corporation. This garden is not only friendly to people and pets, but also exists as a refuge for Pasadena’s native fauna. Birds, bees and butterflies are particularly abundant and can be seen throughout the year.
Arlington Garden has been developed by a collaboration between Arlington Garden in Pasadena, City of Pasadena, Pasadena Department of Public Works, and Pasadena Water & Power, with help from Pasadena Beautiful Foundation and the Mediterranean Garden Society. Continued support comes from garden clubs, local businesses, nurseries, neighbors and friends.
Founders, Betty and Charles McKenney, and designer, Mayita Dinos, were inspired by Jan Smithen’s book Sun-Drenched Gardens: The Mediterranean Style, and in the summer of 2005, the first of many plantings began. Their goal was to create a public, water-wise garden that celebrates Southern California’s Mediterranean climate. The garden demonstrates how beautiful and practical a well-planned, water-conserving and climate-appropriate garden can be.
“Clipped hedges and evergreens in simple shapes are another tradition. Paving for walks and patios is always permeable to let what rain comes down soak in.”
—from remarks by Jan Smithen, author
Pasadena has only one dedicated public garden, Arlington Garden. We are open to everyone seven days a week during daylight hours. The garden is free to the public through the generous support of our partners and people like you.
To keep the garden at its best for everyone, we ask that you remember:
• Amateur photography is allowed and free. However, if you wish to shoot professionally in the garden (weddings, groups, portraits, lighting setups) you must pay a nominal fee and obtain a permit. The process is quick, and will allow you to shoot without interruption from garden management.
• Pets are welcome, but please clean up after your pets and keep them on a leash at all times.
• It is tempting to pick flowers and pods and fruit, but please refrain.
Thank you for visiting, and thank you for helping care for this growing public space!
VISITING THE GARDEN
Arlington Garden is open 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM every day of the year, no charge.
The Garden’s layout and moveable furniture invite people to come and stay rather than be quickly ushered in and out. There are classes and programs available to the public throughout the year. The easiest way to keep informed is to join our mailing list and Like us on Facebook!
Please respect the garden so it can be a resource to you and others for years to come. And remember, professional photographers must obtain a permit.
While we discourage picking of flowers and fruit, our delicious oranges can be sampled in our famous Arlington Garden Orange Marmalade, available for purchase with funds going to the garden. Please contact us below for more information.
For the well-being of the garden and surrounding community, Arlington Garden is closed after dark and a security detail patrols the area.
All pets must be on leash. Please clean up after your pets.
Arlington Garden Etiquette Guidelines
Welcome to Arlington Garden!
Arlington Garden was created and is maintained by Arlington Garden in Pasadena, a non-profit 501 (c)3 corporation operated in collaboration with the City of Pasadena and Pasadena Water and Power, and through the generous donations and work of people like you.
We ask that while you are enjoying your time in the garden to please keep in mind the following guidelines :
- Remember that the beauty of the garden space is the work of our dedicated volunteers and that Arlington Garden is a garden and not a park or playground
- Refrain from climbing on trees, furniture and other features of the garden
There are no public restrooms.
Picnics are allowed in the meadow area.Please clean up after yourself.
- Please be careful of the plants and furniture
- This means staying on the clearly marked paths and not stepping into planting bed
- Respect the privacy of other users and take care not to disturb their quiet moments
- Low voices are appreciated by other people, birds and wildlife in the garden, particularly by the labyrinth area.
- Keep water elements clean and free of debris for wildlife and birds.
- Use trash receptacles or take out what you bring to the Garden
- All trash left on the site has to be cleaned up by the volunteers. Please clean up after yourself to help keep the garden beautiful
- Trash and decorations that are left in the garden are dangerous for our bird and wildlife
- Children should be accompanied at all times
- Since Arlington Garden is nestled in a vibrant neighborhood there is a lot of traffic on the east and south sides of the garden for their safety please make sure your children are within view
- We are free and open to the public seven days a week from dawn to dusk
- After dark it is closed and under security surveillance by San Marino Security
- We are a public garden and SMOKING is illegal and not allowed
- We welcome dogs but they must be leashed and kept out of planting beds
- Please pick up after your dog since children play here and volunteers work here
- We are not a park please refrain from riding bikes through the garden
- Walk your bike or park it
- We are supported through community donations and usage fees. Professional Portrait Photography is by permit only.
- Please contact us to make a request and support the garden
- All the flowers and fruit are here for everyone to enjoy please do not to take or pick any plant material
- The Navel Oranges from our Orange Grove are used to make our sweet orange marmalade, the sales help to support the Garden. Please do not pick more than one!
- Please do not move any furniture
- No glitter or confetti in the garden
We hope you enjoy your visit!
Arlington Garden in Pasadena
BOOK YOUR EVENT
Our garden and the management team strive to be helpful in making it easy for you to plan your event. This location is great for someone who has a DIY attitude when it comes to designing their event and sees the inspiration in the garden for how it can play a part in it. Whether you are getting married, hosting a fundraiser or wanting to host a birthday party in the beautiful outdoors, we would love to assist you in your vision becoming a reality by providing our beautiful garden as the backdrop for you to begin.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information
There are many ways to be involved with Arlington Garden.
- One of the best is to visit, bring friends and family, spread the word.
- Sign up for our newsletter and follow us on Facebook.
- Become an Adult Volunteer! Every Tuesday (holidays excluded) we gather to weed, plant, prune, sweep and clean. You will be a welcome addition to our family of volunteers. Please contact us for more details.
- You may have heard of our famous Arlington Garden Marmalade. Look for it around town and try a jar!
- And, of course, your monetary contribution is not only welcome, it is essential to maintaining and growing the garden, and to our mission of providing free, year-round access. We also welcome grants and bequests. Please contact us for more information if you are willing to consider that form of support.
Arlington Garden is a climate-appropriate, habitat garden offering learning, inspiration, and enjoyment for all.
We are a community supported, water-wise garden that celebrates Southern California’s mediterranean climate. We endeavor to engage, educate and demonstrate how a climate-appropriate garden can be both beautiful and practical to maintain while incorporating the goals of water conservation and environmental sustainability. Arlington Garden offers inspirational beauty, an example of responsible land use, and a wonderful wildlife habitat.
Celebrate our Community’s Cultural Diversity
Environmental Stewardship & Advocacy
Building a legacy of sustainability
Please consider supporting Arlington Garden with a contribution. Your tax-deductible gift will allow us to grow and will help secure this valuable community resource for generations to come.
If you would like to speak to someone about larger donations, bequests and trusts, please contact us:
Arlington Garden in Pasadena is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization.